Friday, July 08, 2005

Zen and the Art of Knitting

I picked up my knitting needles and began to knit without ceasing. The energy was rising through my hands as I began to feel a sense of peace emerge, the clouds in my brain dissolving. The gentle click, clicking of the needles, the warmth of the bamboo, the soft, fuzzy nurturing feeling of the yarn through my fingers soothed my ravaged brain cells. I was in a timeless, meditative state for what seemed like minutes, but was an hour. It became clear to me that the process of knitting was a radical act of love and peace. The act of sitting peacefully, mindfully was pure love. What else is knitting but love? Love of the creative act, the art, the beauty of the textiles, the love of the recipient. It is in the small acts of love, each like a pearl on a strand, create a live well lived. The Buddha said that one person meditating can change the world. Let it begin with me. Knit, knit, purl, purl. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home